I’m so excited to share these sweet potato brownies with you!
Over the past few months, I’ve been testing these vegan brownies – over – and over. These sweet potato tahini brownies are moist, fudgy, rich, and delicious – all while vegan, oil-free, gluten-free/or nut-free.
Not really because I needed to tweak them, but more so because I wanted to sample them straight out of the oven. And then again after refrigerating. And then sometimes frozen.
All the ways. 🤩
And you know I love my brownies. You might say I’m crazy for them.
Actually, reflecting on my cookbooks, I now realize that I have created a vegan brownie recipe for each and every cookbook.
In my first book, it was a cake-y brownie. In Vive le Vegan, I rivaled those with Fudgy Brownies. Eat, Drink & be Vegan had Maple Pecan Sticky Blondies. Okay, technically not vegan brownies… but I made up for that in Let Them Eat Vegan with three brownie recipes: Berry Patch Brownies, Creamed Cheese Brownies, and Frosted Brawnies. In Plant-Powered Families, the Crazy Brownies.
Last but not at all least, in Dreena’s Kind Kitchen, you’ll find my Crackle Blender Brownies (below, made with red lentils)!
So why another vegan brownie recipe?
- who doesn’t love variety in vegan brownies?
- these aren’t just vegan, these are oil-free vegan brownies that can be made gluten-free or nut-free
- these combine my love for sweet potatoes and very specifically sweet potatoes and chocolate
- these also combine dark chocolate with tahini… and if you need more convincing on that combo, watch this video!
Indeed, I think tasting that chocolate tahini is what ignited this new brownie recipe obsession.
At first, I was going to use the Soom tahini in this recipe. But, I wanted to give you all the option to make these sweet potato brownies without needing the chocolate tahini.
And the addition of sweet potatoes is a perfect balance to the bitterness of the chocolate and tahini, lending natural sweetness but also texture and moistness to these vegan brownies.
So let’s get to making some delicious oil-free vegan brownies, yes?! (p.s. for oil-free vegan chocolate, see this post)
When you try them, share your feedback, I’d love to hear if you made them with the oat flour or almond flour – and any other customizations you tried!
Sweet Potato Tahini Brownies
- 1 cup precooked orange or yellow sweet potato see note
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk reserve 2-3 tsp for topping, see note
- 1/4 cup tahini reserve 1-2 tsp for topping, see note
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips to pulse/puree, see note for oil-free
- 1/2 cup almond flour for GLUTEN-FREE
(OR 1/3 cup oat flour for NUT-FREE)
- 1/2 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup unrefined sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp little scant sea salt
- Reserved tahini/milk
- 2-3 tbsp chocolate chips for topping
- Sprinkle of coarse sea salt for topping
- Optional: sprinkle of unrefined sugar for topping about 1-2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a metal brownie pan by lining with parchment paper. In a high-speed blender (I use Blendtec and the twister jar), combine sweet potato, milk, tahini and vanilla, pureeing until smooth. Once smooth, add chocolate chips and pulse/puree through to break up to a crumbly consistency in the puree. Transfer mixture to a bowl, scraping out everything. Add dry ingredients (except those for topping) and mix through until well combined. Transfer to lined baking pan, using a spatula to even out, and smoothing to have edges just slightly higher than centre. In one of your measuring cups or a small bowl, combine the milk and tahini and stir/whisk until smooth. Drizzle that mixture in a few places on top of the brownies. Add chocolate chips and coarse salt, and sugar if using. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove, and let cool. Cut into squares when just cooled (or refrigerate before cutting into squares for easier slicing). Serve!