These fluffy vegan pancakes are positively foolproof! Made with only 6 ingredients (5 of which are pantry staples), you can whip up these pancakes in no time at all. Top them off with your favorite fruits and maple syrup, and you’ve just made the best breakfast ever!
If you’ve had troubles with vegan pancakes (or any pancake recipe) in the past, this is your recipe.
This is my first featured recipe from Dreena’s Kind Kitchen. Many of you pre-ordered the book, and now have the cookbook in your hands.
So, I highly encourage you to try these pancakes!
Fluffy Vegan Pancake FAQs
Not at all. These pancakes use a little acid (from the vinegar) along with the baking powder for leavening. And, the flour needs no binding, it has its own natural binding properties.
If you want the pancakes to flip easily, yes. Non-stick pans have come a long way and there are many brands with PFOA-free and PTFE-free coatings. Also consider that when your coating wears down with scratches, it’s time to replace.
I prefer oat milk or organic soy, but the choice is yours! You can use plain or vanilla, vanilla will generally add a touch of sweetness.
I posted about vanilla bean powder here, it’s one of my favorite ingredients and a kitchen staple. It’s totally optional, even though it adds beautiful flavor! You can for sure omit it, or use about 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract.
Yes! I keep them in an airtight container at room temperature for the day, or refrigerate overnight. Simply reheat in a warm toaster/toaster oven and they are delightful!
Absolutely. Freeze in an airtight container separated with slips of parchment paper.
If you cannot consume vinegar, try lemon juice.
Before we get to the recipe, a couple of cookbook admin items:
- I’m doing a virtual signing! Join here, no purchase required – but if you do want a signed copy of Dreena’s Kind Kitchen, this is where you can get one. There will be door prizes, Q&A, lots of good stuff. And, you will NOT be on video, no worries if you’re camera shy.
- If you are already loving Dreena’s Kind Kitchen, would you please add a review on amazon? It can be brief, and these reviews help the book’s visibility. Thank you. 🙏
Time to enjoy fluffy vegan pancakes! x Dreena
Light and Fluffy Pancakes
- 1 cup plain or vanilla nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups white whole- wheat flour or whole-wheat pastry flour see note
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla bean powder optional; see note
- Couple pinches sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes. Heat a nonstick skillet (see note) over medium-high heat for a few minutes, then reduce the heat to medium. While the pan is heating, in a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, vanilla bean powder (if using), and salt. Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry mixture and whisk to combine. Fold in any optional add-ins you like. Using a ladle, scoop 1/4–1/3 cup of the batter into the hot pan, fitting as many as you can without allowing the pancakes to touch. Cook for several minutes, until small bubbles form on the outer edge and in the center and the pancakes starts to look dry on the top. Flip the pancakes and lightly cook the other side for about a minute, then transfer to a plate. Repeat until all the batter is used.