A dairy-free, vegan cream cheese from The Cheese Trap by Dr. Neal Barnard. This “sour cream ‘n onion” version is also oil-free; recipe by Dreena Burton.
Do you long for vegan cream cheese with a bagel? Or maybe want to use a vegan cream cheese for a veggie dip for parties?
There are two vegan cream cheese recipes in the book, this one is my Sour Cream ‘n Onion Cream Cheese.
I had a thing for sour cream ‘n onion snacks and foods in my pre-vegan days. As in chips, rings (apparently these are a Canadian thing?), and chip dip. So, I just had to create a sour cream ‘n onion vegan cream cheese recipe for The Cheese Trap.
This vegan cream cheese is wonderfully easy to make, and so creamy and delicious. We love it as a spread on crusty breads to pair with soups or pastas. But I’m thinking if I was a bagel lover, this would be absolute bagel spread-bliss!
There are many more cheesy recipes in the book. Try out this vegan cream cheese and let me know how you like it!
Sour Cream ’n Onion Cream Cheese
- 1 cup presoaked cashews this is about 3/4 cup raw cashews; soak for 2-3 hours in warm water
- 1/4 cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions green portion
- 1 tsp mild miso ex: chickpea miso
- 1/4 tsp sea salt rounded
- 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp guar gum lightly rounded (optional, see note)
- In a blender (high-speed is easiest), blend all ingredients until very smooth, scraping down blender as needed. Once smooth, use straightaway or refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Makes about 1 cup.
- Guar Gum Note: The guar gum helps give a slight viscous texture to this recipe, which more resembles commercial cream cheese (dairy and non-dairy). It’s not essential to the flavor, however. So, if you don’t have it, you can omit and simply chill the mix to help it set more before serving.
photos: by Nicole Axworthy