Hummus Tortilla Pizzas are the ultimate thin crust pizza!
I’ve always loved thin crust pizzas.
Just as I am very fond of sauces and dips, I enjoy a thin crust pizza because it lets all the flavors and the textures of the toppings shine through.
Sure, there are times for that dough-y pizza, but I’ll choose a crispy, thin crust brimming with tasty toppings 99% of the time.
Years back, when writing The Everyday Vegan, I discovered how an otherwise ordinary whole-grain soft tortilla could be baked and transformed into the perfect crispy, personal pizza.
Later, when writing Vive le Vegan, I had a hummus epiphany: layer it on a pizza crust.
Any pizza crust is good, but a tortilla crust? Especially good!
After posting a few pics of hummus tortilla pizzas on my FB page, I realized many of you hadn’t tried them.
Let’s change that, right here right now!
Rather than give you a recipe for one very specific pizza, I am going to outline the recipe method, and then offer suggestions on how to pair various hummus varieties with simpatico toppings.
That way you can customize your own Hummus Tortilla Pizzas!
To begin, here is the recipe method for hummus tortilla pizzas.
This outlines how long to bake the tortilla, at what temperature, and roughly how much hummus to use for each pizza.
Hummus Tortilla Pizzas
- whole-grain tortilla shells of choice whole-wheat, sprouted, gluten-free, etc, 10″ or similar size (1-2 shells per person)
- hummus of choice about 1/3 – 1/2 cup per pizza
- toppings of choice ex: olives, capers, sliced bell peppers, roasted mushrooms, thinly sliced onions, diced tomatoes, etc, see suggestions below
- chopped fresh herbs/nutritional yeast/black pepper/coarse salt for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place whole-grain tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 7-9 minutes, until just crispy and golden (watch, they can turn from golden to burnt quickly). Remove and let cool on baking sheet while preparing toppings/hummus. When ready to bake, spread a layer of hummus (fairly generous, and using more around the edges rather than in the centre to prevent pizza from getting soggy in the middle) over the tortilla and add your toppings. Bake immediately (don’t let sit with hummus on tortilla for too long as the tortilla will become soggy), in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes (just to heat through toppings). Remove, slice, and serve! Sprinkle portions with chopped fresh herbs, a sprinkle of nooch, and/or a touch of coarse salt/black pepper.
Hummus Tortilla Pizzas: pairing toppings with hummus varieties
Chipotle-Lime Two Bean Hummus: Toppings: sliced red bell pepper, cubed or sliced avocado (can add before or after baking), thinly sliced red onion or chopped green onions, olives, sliced tomatoes (few). For serving: chopped cilantro or parsley.
Peanut Sesame Hummus: Toppings: blanched snow peas, chopped green onions, chopped red peppers, pineapple chunks. For serving: sprinkle of cilantro or parsley, mung bean sprouts, chopped peanuts.
White Bean Hummus with Fresh Basil and Thyme: Toppings: dry Moroccan olives or kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes. For serving: julienned fresh basil leaves.
Curry Chickpea Hummus with Raisins: sliced red peppers, baby spinach, cubed baked potatoes or sweet potatoes (or squash!). For serving: drizzle of mango chutney, sprinkle of chopped parsley or cilantro.
Marinated and Roasted Tomato Garlic Hummus: Tofu Feta or Soy-Free Feta (recipes in Plant-Powered Families), capers or green olives, roasted zucchini or sliced fresh zucchini. For serving: chopped basil or touch of chopped oregano; brazil nut parm.
Roasted Red Pepper Almond Hummus: caramelized onions, cherry tomatoes, sauteed kale, olives. For serving: chopped fresh parsley, sprinkle chopped almonds.
Smoky Cannellini Bean Sweet Potato Dip: roasted sliced fennel, diced green peppers, diced or sliced Tempeh Tickle. For serving: extra chipotle hot sauce, reserve some toasted pine nuts for sprinkling on servings.
SO many options for Hummus Tortilla Pizzas, right?!
Hey, I’ve missed one! How about that Pumpkincredible Hummus? Can you imagine it on a pizza? What would you choose for toppings?
Have you ever had hummus tortilla pizzas? If so, share your favorite combinations!
More ideas for hummus tortilla pizzas in Plant-Powered Families.
Enjoy, kids! x Dreena