Try a new twist on nachos with Apple Nachos Supreme! Slices of crisp apples are drizzled with a date caramel and topped off with crunchy popcorn and nuts.
Happy autumn and HELLO Apple Nachos!
Yeah, I know… fall is about everything pumpkin.
And, apples are so often overlooked in autumn food recipes, don’t you think?
Not today, because I’m serving up these….
APPLE NACHOS SUPREME!
Take that, #pumpkineverything! 😆
Kidding. Like most, I love the pumpkin recipes. But, I also adore apple goodies!
And, let’s look at why we love apples!
- readily available (unlike pumpkin or pumpkin puree)
- usually inexpensive (even organic, which I recommend)
- easy to prepare!
Apple recipes are simple, satisfying, comforting.
Plus, with so many varieties available, you can adapt most recipes using your favorite picks.
Speaking of which, my fave apple picks are fuji, gala, ambrosia, and sweet orin. Yours?
Back to the nachos!
These APPLE NACHOS SUPREME from Plant-Powered Families are a fun enough for kids, yet impressive enough for adult get-togethers.
What makes these nachos special?
Apple nachos aren’t a new idea. But these are unique because of the toppings!
I use a date-sweetened caramel drizzle, and popcorn for added sweet/salty appeal!
If you are short on time, I offer a shortcut topping option to the date caramel.
All in all, these “nachos” are super fun and delicious! And, you know, an apple a day… 😉
Enjoy x Dreena
Apple Nachos SUPREME
Spiced Caramel (see note for quick-fix option):
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (scant) sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice optional
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 2-3 tsp water
- 3 apples cored and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp nut butter of choice or peanut butter see note
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups popped popcorn can pop yourself or use storebought
- 3 – 4 tbsp nondairy chocolate chips
- 2 – 3 tablespoons chopped nuts optional
- 2 tablespoons cranberries or raisins optional
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 recipe prepared Spiced Caramel or brown rice syrup, as in note
- For spiced caramel: Puree the dates, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, allspice, vanilla bean powder, and 1/3 cup of the water in a blender or small food processor (I use the Blendtec twister jar, which is the perfect size for this small batch—you can also use a mini food processor but it may not get as smooth). If it’s difficult to get the mixture moving, add another teaspoon of water, and more if needed. (Try not to add too much at once, or the mixture could become too thin.) Puree until completely smooth. Once smooth, transfer to a small zip-top bag (to later pipe onto the nachos). To make the apple base: Toss the apples in the lemon juice. Arrange on a large plate. To assemble with toppings: Add the nut butter to a small zip-top bag. Seal the bag, and push/twist all the nut butter to one end. Snip the smallest piece off a corner and you can then pipe the nut butter over the apples. Alternatively, you can gently warm the nut butter and drizzle with a spoon. Distribute the popcorn, chocolate chips, nuts, cranberries, and shredded coconut on top of the apples, as desired. Finally, take the prepared caramel in the zip-top bag, seal the bag, and twist/snip off a small corner. Drizzle over the apple nachos. Serves 3-4.
Subscribe to my emails to get updated with recipes!